Kissimmee Elementary School Program
The academic program in our private elementary school in Kissimmee runs from Kindergarten to 6th grade levels.
With the K5 Cursive Curriculum, your student will be given the foundation for a lifelong love of reading and learning! The quick success that your kindergartner gains by learning to read phonetically makes reading so much fun! He will soon become an independent reader with stories that keep his interest. With ABEKA your student will become ready for first grade!
Phonics—Your student will enjoy carefully sequenced activities that will teach him his vowels, consonants, blends, one- and two-vowel words, and special sounds. Abeka phonics has produced thousands of successful readers for more than half a century!
Reading—Building on this foundation of phonics, by end of first semester your student will actually be reading little readers!
Cursive writing—The continuous flow of cursive writing is much more natural for little ones than the starts and stops of manuscript writing. Research shows that learning cursive writing improves a child’s hand-eye coordination, motor skills, and other brain and memory functions, including increased focus and prolonged attention. Prepare to be amazed with your student’s beautiful writing skills as he learns good technique from the beginning.
Numbers—Your student will memorize addition facts up through the number 10 and will be able to identify what numbers come before and after any number from 1 to 100. He will also begin to learn about subtraction, complete one-step story problems with addition, and recognize the largest and smallest numbers from a set of numbers.
Development Skills—The coloring pages, mazes, directed-art pages, and other activities in Think and Learn K5 aid your kindergartener in the development of writing readiness, hand-eye coordination, visual perception, listening and thinking skills, and good character.
By the end of first grade, your child will have made amazing leaps in learning! He will be able to recognize and use all the phonic sounds—including 132 special sounds—needed to phonetically read words!. Grade 1 Curriculum can provide your first grader a strong foundation in knowledge and learning habits from a Christian perspective.
- Phonics—Regardless of your child’s phonics background, Abeka’s six steps to reading will turn him into a reader! This proven system teaches thousands of beginning readers every year.
- Reading—Ten engaging reading books of his very own plus daily systematic practice teach word analysis skills, build vocabulary, increase reading comprehension, and further develop the thinking process. And he will love the stories and Bible reading!
- Language–Early work in language skills increases your child’s thinking and writing skills. He will learn to write complete sentences and turn them into stories!
- Spelling and Poetry—The 30 phonics-based word lists with activities reinforce reading skills and teach spelling. And your child will memorize 8 delightful poems!
- Writing—Research shows that learning cursive writing improves a child’s brain and memory functions besides being more natural for little ones than manuscript writing. Phonics, spelling, and creative writing are built into daily writing practice.
- Arithmetic—First graders proudly count and write to 100 by 2s, 3s, 5, and 10s! From adding three-digit numbers to solving simple word problems, your child will grow in math skills and reasoning ability.
- History—Reading about famous American patriots, landmarks, and patriotic songs with an emphasis on good citizenship makes your child want to read to learn!
- Science—Learning about God’s world with hands-on activities makes acquiring basic science concepts fun!
- Health—It is never too early to learn good manners and habits. Learning activities help your child apply good principles of health, safety, and manners.
Your second grader is now used to school and is ready to learn even more! Give him a year of interesting, enjoyable learning and skill building with Abeka. Grade 2 Curriculum confidently give your second grader the knowledge and skills he needs for a strong foundation in academics and character training from a Christian perspective.
- Phonics—Daily practice helps your child reinforce the phonics concepts that develop his reading skills. Puzzles, riddles, and other exercises enhance his word analysis skills, broaden his vocabulary, and increase his reading comprehension.
- Reading—Your child will read aloud a total of 10 books containing classic and modern stories and poetry that are keyed to phonics sounds. Discussion questions and enrichment ideas give you ways to enhance his reading comprehension.
- Language—Your second grader will know how and when to capitalize, how to write complete sentences and even short stories!
- Spelling and Poetry—The 32 phonics-based word lists with activities reinforce reading skills and teach spelling. Starting second semester, vocabulary words complete with definitions are added. And he will memorize 7 delightful poems!
- Writing—Abeka’s step-by-step cursive approach to good penmanship emphasizes neatness and correct letter formation in daily practice.
- Arithmetic—Learning place value, addition and subtraction, money, graphs, measurement, time, temperature, and fractions this year will become a positive experience because of Abeka’s clear instruction and planned practice.
- History—Your child will read about the people who built America and gain a better understanding of American holidays, patriotic songs, and flag etiquette.
- Science—Your child will boost reading comprehension while developing thinking skills as he thinks through the “how” and “why” questions behind the basic science of the human body, plants, animals, matter, energy, and space.
- Health—From regular flossing to proper eating, from crossing the street to fire escape plans, from learning to apologize to properly answering the phone, your child will learn how to glorify God in his care of himself and treatment of others.
As your third grader seek answers to “Who, what, when, where, why, and how,” you have the opportunity to help them navigate through this year of expanding horizons. Grade 3 curriculum contains all essential textbooks including assessments, for an entire year of schooling. The Third Grade Curriculum will provide your third grader a strong foundation in academics and life skills from a Christian perspective.
- Reading—What an exciting and growing year in reading! This year’s reading includes six new themed compilations and 6 novels covering famous pieces by Robert Louis Stevenson, Patricia MacLachlan, Laura Ingalls Wilder, A. A. Milne, and many more! Help your student “dig deep” into each piece by focusing on the rich literary components.
- Language and Penmanship— There is still a lot of grammar and writing building to do in third grade! That means learning new concepts as they are tied to foundational concepts. Here come nouns, verbs, adjectives, and word usage presented in fun, interesting themes such as the zoos of the world, outer space, nocturnal animals, and more! Third graders will also further develop correct penmanship skills through writing exercises that include Bible verses and creative writing exercises.
- Spelling and Poetry—Spelling is a learned and practiced art. The 34 weekly spelling lists complete with vocabulary words, definitions and creative exercises will make your students spelling artists! With a larger format, new artwork, and multisensory enrichment activities, spelling and poetry will be a favorite subject for your class! This year’s poetry will introduce students to great works of English and American Literature.
- Arithmetic—This is the year your students will master their multiplication and division facts! With concepts arranged for logical order, help your students build from the known to the unknown concepts as they graduate into fractions and learning to reduce, add, and subtract them. With interesting facts and theme-coordinated art, learning Math can be fun!
- History—Reading the biographies of 50 historical figures—from Christopher Columbus to Martin Luther King—not only gives your students a chronological understanding of American history but also inspiring character-building qualities to emulate. Take your class in for a closer look on the founding, expansion, and modernization of our great country, America.
- Science and Health—For curious third graders, learning about the bodies they live in, plants, animals and their habitats, and the weather is not just an academic exercise. It is fascinating!
- Art— This work text includes seasonal projects that help your students further their coloring, drawing, painting, shaping, and modeling abilities. Your artists will study primary, secondary, and complementary colors as they work with chalking and shading.
Fourth graders are eager to learn all about their world and their place in it. Abeka’s engaging curriculum, built on a solid Christian worldview, will keep them captivated as they learn fascinating facts and improve reading comprehension, composition skills, and much more! The Grade 4 Curriculum contains all essential textbooks and coordinated materials, including assessments, for an entire year of schooling in language arts, arithmetic, science, health, and history.
- Language Arts
Reading—Reading from classics, modern stories, and poetry gives your child insight into his world and presents him with Christian ideals and spiritual values. Watch his reading comprehension and vocabulary take a leap with the added emphasis on reading speed and comprehension skills.
Grammar and Composition—You will be thrilled to see your fourth grader become more comfortable with correct grammar in conversation and composition.
Spelling, Vocabulary, and Poetry—A straightforward teach/practice/test approach makes spelling “second nature” to your young writer. He will also learn to spell, define, and use 5–10 vocabulary words in each lesson. And what an accomplishment when he can recite from memory all 6 poems!
Penmanship—Daily penmanship practice begins with a review of letter formation and then graduates into creative writing and spelling entries.
- Arithmetic—Learning fractions becomes a positive experience because of clear instruction and extensive practice. As in the other skills subjects, the Abeka program ensures repetition and maintenance of basic skills and builds a foundation of understanding that is necessary for more abstract concepts taught later.
- Science/Health—Fourth graders love the emphasis on nature studies and God’s creative genius in science. In the 7-week Health course, they learn how to keep their bodies healthy.
- History—Hundreds of colorful visuals and a lively narrative writing style may make the story of America’s history your child’s favorite class! Told from a Christian perspective and combined with enjoyable geography and map activities.
Fifth graders can learn so much! Abeka’s engaging curriculum, built on a solid Christian worldview, will guide your child through the Eastern Hemisphere, his first research paper, pre-algebra concepts, and much more! The Grade 5 Curriculum contains all essential textbooks and coordinated materials, including assessments, for an entire year of schooling in language arts, arithmetic, science, health, and history.
- Language Arts
Reading—Reading from classics, modern stories, and poetry gives your child a window on his world and presents him with Christian ideals and spiritual values. All that plus increased reading comprehension and vocabulary development!
Grammar and Composition—Fifth graders learn to use their language naturally from the useful, practical way that grammar is taught in conjunction with composition, research, and oral usage.
Spelling, Vocabulary, and Poetry—A straightforward teach/practice/test approach makes spelling “second nature” to your young writer. The interesting weekly lists cover such topics as home, French words, food, and more. Your child will also learn to spell, define, and use 10–20 vocabulary words in each lesson. And what an accomplishment when he can recite from memory all 6 poems!
- Penmanship—Daily penmanship practice begins with a review of “trouble-maker” formations and then graduates into creative writing and journal entries.
- Arithmetic—Challenge your child with decimals, more advanced word problems, and basic geometry, all taught step-by-step. As in the other skills subjects, the Abeka program ensures repetition and maintenance of basic skills and builds a foundation of understanding necessary for more abstract concepts.
- Science/Health—Your child will learn all about the mysteries around him—worlds of plants and animals and insects. In the 7-week Health course, fifth graders learn about the intricate design of their bodies, that most marvelous creation of God.
- History—The 300 colorful pictures illustrate the journey from the beginning of recorded history to the present. Along the way, your child will meet explorers and leaders and missionaries. Told from a Christian perspective and combined with geography and map activities.
Abeka prepares your child for junior high through his work with geometry, the chemical elements, and much more! The Grade 6 Curriculum contains all essential textbooks and coordinated materials, including assessments, for an entire year of schooling in language arts, arithmetic, science, health, and history. Grade 6 Curriculum can confidently teach and guide your sixth grader through a year of academic excellence.
- Language Arts
Reading—Classic works by Kipling, Twain, Alcott are just some of the stories and poems that will present your child with literary beauty, Christian ideals, and spiritual values. Thinking and comprehension skills are part of the Abeka reading program.
Grammar and Composition—Creative writing and report writing provide practical applications as sixth graders build a grammar, usage, and mechanics foundation that will serve them well in junior high.
Spelling, Vocabulary, and Poetry—Your child’s spelling skills and oral and written vocabulary will grow quickly through his work with English words formed with Greek and Latin roots and prefixes and suffixes. Activities in proofreading and learning about the development of English language are an added bonus! And what an accomplishment when he can recite from memory all 8 poems!
Penmanship—A review of cursive formations is included in Creative Writing, the companion book to Language C.
- Arithmetic— Challenge your child with percents and more complex mental arithmetic and word problems. As in the other skills subjects, the A Beka program ensures repetition and maintenance of basic skills and builds a foundation of understanding necessary for more abstract concepts.
- Science/Health—Build a bridge between elementary and junior high science as your child studies geology, invertebrates, space travel, and more. In the 7-week Health course, he learns about fitness. He also becomes familiar with health concerns such as drug abuse and AIDS, studying their physical, mental, and spiritual effects.
- History— America’s neighbors, Canada and Mexico, become more real as your child explores the history and geography and people of North and South America.